- This event has passed.
Safe Streets for All Program (SS4A)- A Conversation with ITE Leadership
July 20, 2022 @ 2:00 am - 3:00 pm UTC-5$79
Click here to register.
ITE Executive Director and CEO Jeff Paniati and ITE Deputy Executive Director and Chief Technical Officer Jeff Lindley will be hosting a conversation with interested members on the new Safe Streets for All Program (SS4A) discretionary grant program contained within the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act/Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (IIJA/BIL). Recognizing that the intended recipients for this program may be less experienced in preparing discretionary grant applications and administering Federal-aid funding, USDOT has reached out to ITE and other associations for insights on assistance needed by potential recipients.
ITE, through its IIJA/BIL webpage and eCommunity has been providing information on the SS4A (and other IIJA/BIL programs) as it becomes available. However, we would like to use this opportunity to learn more from ITE public agency members, and consultants who may be supporting these members in preparing grant applications, with regard to the questions or concerns you may have about participating in this program. This will also be an opportunity for Jeff Paniati and Jeff Lindley to share some tips and insights based on their Federal careers and involvement in other discretionary grant programs.
While a short overview of the SS4A program will be provided at the start of the conversation, the purpose of this session is not to provide a tutorial on the SS4A or in preparing a grant application. A document will be provided with information from USDOT provides comprehensive supporting materials and information on how to sign up for webinars (document available under Resources tab above). This conversation will center on questions or concerns that ITE can share with USDOT and the identification of any support that ITE (staff, Councils or committees) can provide to its members in accessing SS4A funding in 2022 and beyond.
The purpose of SS4A grant program is to improve roadway safety by significantly reducing or eliminating roadway fatalities and serious injuries through safety action plan development and project implementation focused on the needs of all users. The SS4A program is funded at $1 billion annually for five years. Two types of grants will be provided:
- Action Plan Grants provide Federal funds to develop, complete, or supplement a comprehensive safety action plan. Having an Action Plan in place is the foundation of the SS4A grant program. The goal of an Action Plan is to develop a holistic, well-defined strategy to prevent roadway fatalities and serious injuries in a locality, Tribe, or region. In 2022, 40% of available funds ($400 million) will be used to support Action Plans.
- Implementation Grants provide Federal funds to implement projects and strategies identified in an Action Plan to address a roadway safety problem. Projects and strategies may be infrastructure, behavioral, and/or operational activities. Implementation Grants may also fund associated planning and design and supplemental Action Plan activities in support of an existing Action Plan. Applicants must have an existing Action Plan to apply for Implementation Grants or have an existing plan that is substantially similar and meets the eligibility requirements.
Applications for fiscal year 2022 funding are due on September 15, 2022
Eligible recipients include:
- A metropolitan planning organization (MPO);
- A political subdivision of a State (e.g., cities, towns, counties, special districts, and similar units of local government);
- A federally recognized Tribal government; or
- A multijurisdictional group of entities described in (1) through (3).
Free to all ITE Members
Members will need to follow the checkout process, the price will show $0.00.
Non-Members if you do not already have an ITE account, you will need to create an account to register. You can create an account here.
Event Log-on Instructions:
On the day of the webinar, return to this page to join the live web event that you purchased. A button to join the live event will appear 30 minutes before the specified start time.
Policies: Registration for this webinar closes 30 minutes prior to start. Registration for webinar includes the live event and an archived recording with access for 30 days to each registrant.