- This event has passed.
Road Safety Fundamentals Webinar Series (6 of 10): Human Factors
February 2, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm EST
This 10-part Road Safety Fundamental Webinar series highlights various aspects of road safety as part of ITE’s continued focus on Vision Zero and the goal to reduce and eventually eliminate fatalities. Presented by experts in their field, this series will have a topic appropriate for all levels. There is a suite of introductory webinars for those not familiar with road user safety as well as modules discussing safety evaluations and safety for all road users.
A significant number of traffic crashes involve some aspect of human error as a major contributing factor. This webinar provides the professionals with the basic knowledge of the factual information and insight on the limitations and capabilities of road users to facilitate improved safety performance through roadway design and operational decisions. Despite a widespread acknowledgement that traf?c safety reflects the consideration and integration of three components—the roadway, the vehicle, and the roadway user—the information needs, limitations, and capabilities of roadway users are often neglected in traditional resources used by practitioners. With initiatives such as Safe Systems, Towards Zero Deaths, and Vision Zero, addressing human factors is critical to achieve significant reductions in the frequency and severity of traffic crashes. This webinar provides suggestions to improve roadway design and operations through consideration of the needs of the user.
Attendees of this webinar will be able to:
- Summarize basic concepts of human factors as they relate to roadway safety, design, and operations.
- Describe the abilities and limitations of drivers and road users.
- Identify linkages between drivers and road design as they relate to crashes and potential engineering countermeasures.
- Demonstrate application of the consideration of human factors through examples.
- Richard Coakley, Chief Technical Officer | Jacobs
- Priscilla Tobias, P.E., RSP1, RSP2 Infrastructure & Behavior | Manager, Illinois Operations | ARORA and ASSOCIATES, P.C.
Individual Webinar — ITE member price: $99; non-member price: $149
This fee includes a live web event, an archived recording, webinar evaluation, 1.5 PDH credits, and a certificate of completion.